Protect Damaged Teeth with Dental Crowns
Dr. Barry Bessler provides custom dental crowns at our Wayland, MA, practice for missing, broken, or decayed teeth in need of restoration or replacement. During a consultation, Dr. Bessler will fully assess your smile, your candidacy, your health needs, and your personal goals. He believes in putting the patient first, and will devote all the time necessary in order to achieve optimal results.
The Dental Crown Procedure
If Dr. Bessler determines that you are a candidate for a dental crown, he will begin by numbing the tooth and surrounding soft tissue. Next, the tooth will be gently reshaped to secure a proper fit and an impression will be made. Impressions of the opposite and adjacent teeth are also taken to ensure that the restoration will not negatively affect your bite. The impressions are then sent to a dental lab where the crown is expertly crafted.
Dr. Bessler will conduct an in-depth assessment that includes dental impressions, photos, and x-rays in order to determine if a dental crown is the best solution for you.
During this first office visit, Dr. Bessler will also attach a temporary crown to cover and protect the tooth until your next appointment. During your second visit, Dr. Bessler will remove the temporary crown and double-check the fit and color of the permanent restoration. Once any slight adjustments have been made, a local anesthetic will be used to numb the tooth and the new crown will be permanently cemented in place.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Crowns?
Dr. Bessler will conduct an in-depth assessment that includes dental impressions, photos, and x-rays in order to determine if a dental crown is the best solution for you. Some restorative dentistry patients may first require periodontal care in order to ensure a strong foundation for their crown. Most commonly, dental crowns are recommended for:
- Restoring a tooth following a root canal: A root canal involves removing infected tissue from inside a tooth. Following treatment, the tooth's structure will be somewhat weakened. A custom crown can support the tooth while restoring a natural appearance to your smile.
- Repairing a damaged tooth: If you have suffered trauma that caused a tooth to be broken, but the remaining tissue is able to serve as a base for a restoration, a crown can protect the tooth while maintaining the balance and aesthetics of your bite.
- Oversized dental fillings: These restorations can render the walls of the tooth vulnerable to cracking and breakage, and can be secured with one of our crowns.
- Restoring a tooth following treatment of a large cavity: If a tooth cannot be adequately restored using a conventional filling following tooth loss, your dentist may recommend a custom dental crown. Alternatively, if a cavity is not large enough to require a crown, Dr. Bessler may recommend inlays or onlays.
- Replacing a lost tooth: A crown can restore a dental implant, replacing a lost tooth from the root to the chewing surface.
The Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns provide improved oral health and restored function. Dr. Bessler's attention to detail and personalized approach will ensure your crown is crafted to look completely natural, which can boost your confidence in your smile. With proper at-home care and regular checkups and cleanings, crowns can last for many years.
If you are ready to improve your quality of life with extraordinary restorative dental care from Dr. Bessler, contact us today. His expertise can help you achieve the healthy, attractive smile you deserve.
“We consider it a privilege to have you as our patient. We will honor this privilege by providing you with prompt attention and high-quality, respectful care.” Dr. Barry Bessler