Implant-supported bridges are an alternative to traditional bridges. They not only replace missing teeth, but also prevent the bone atrophy that occurs in the absence of tooth roots. As a prosthodontist, Dr. Barry Bessler in Wayland, MA, specializes in designing customized restorations that fit precisely and look natural. During a consultation, Dr. Bessler can determine if an implant-supported bridge is right for you.
Why Choose Implants?
Traditional bridges are an affordable option for replacing one or more consecutive missing teeth. However, there are a number of notable downsides. First, they require alterations to your healthy adjacent teeth. Second, traditional bridges cannot stop bone atrophy from occurring under the bridge.
By supporting your bridge with dental implants, you will not need to alter healthy teeth. Meanwhile, the implants will provide the stimulation necessary to retain bone tissue in the area. While you may need to have your restoration replaced after 10 years or so, the implants can last 40 years or longer with proper care.
Financing and Insurance
Dental implants are an investment in your oral health. While the cost of this treatment might make you hesitate, it does not have to be a barrier to treatment. Most insurance providers will cover at least part of the cost of the bridge, and we offer in-house financing options for the out-of-pocket expenses, such as the implants themselves. We will also communicate with your insurance provider directly in order to maximize your savings and minimize any headache.
Dr. Bessler will take all the time necessary to explain your options and help you make an informed decision.
The Treatment Timeline
Depending on the specifics of your case, treatment can take anywhere from a few months to a full year. In general, it involves:
- Consultation: Before treatment, you will need to meet with Dr. Bessler for a one-on-one discussion. He will ask about your goals for treatment and examine your smile to determine whether implants are appropriate. If they are, he will create a customized treatment plan based on your particular needs.
- Preparatory Procedures: If you hope to replace teeth that have been missing for a while, you may need a bone graft or sinus lift to boost bone density and improve your chances for a successful treatment. Some patients may also need periodontal treatment to resolve gum disease before receiving implants.
- Implant Placement: Dr. Bessler works with a trusted implant surgeon to oversee the placement of implants. In most cases, only one or two implants are needed to anchor a bridge. Once they have been placed, your implants will need several months to fuse with the surrounding bone tissue before they can support restorations.
- Abutments: After your implants have fused to the jaw, Dr. Bessler can attach the abutments that will connect your implants to your bridge. This requires incising the gums and suturing the tissue in a way that leaves the abutment accessible above the gumline. Patients typically need about two weeks to heal after this stage.
- Restoration: Once you have completely healed, we will take impressions and begin crafting your bridge. Once it is ready, Dr. Bessler will make sure that it fits your bite comfortably and securely before attaching it to your implants.
Close the Gaps in Your Smile
If you are missing one or more teeth, reach out to our practice online or call us at (508) 358-2336 to schedule a consultation. Dr. Bessler will take all the time necessary to explain your options and help you make an informed decision.
“We consider it a privilege to have you as our patient. We will honor this privilege by providing you with prompt attention and high-quality, respectful care.” Dr. Barry Bessler